The agent for Padres first baseman Adrian Gonzalez tells the San Diego Union-Tribune he doesn’t "see any signs" that a long-term extension can be worked out.
John Boggs says talks with the Padres quickly stalled when he used Mark Teixeira’s eight-year, $180 million contract as a starting point.
"You always shoot high and adjust to the marketplace," Boggs says.
Club owner Jeff Moorad said last month that, based on initial demands, the Padres were unlikely to afford Gonzalez. General manager Jed Hoyer was less forthcoming on Monday.
"We are not going to comment on player negotiations," Hoyer told the newspaper in an e-mail. "Adrian is under contract for two more seasons with the Padres and ongoing dialogue about the status of extension discussions can only serve as a distraction to the team and to the player."
Gonzalez has one year and $4.75 million, plus a $5.5 club option, remaining on his current contract. That club-friendly deal, plus his age (27) and production (40 home runs last season), makes him a highly attracive trade target. The Red Sox, White Sox, Mariners and Mets have all been linked to Gonzalez in recent rumors.
"This is a premium ballplayer," Boggs tells the paper. "If you think you can get it done, he’s obviously somebody who’s moveable …"