Cal Ripken Jr. said Monday that Orioles principal owner Peter Angelos did not stand in the way of him joining the team, MLB.com reported.
FoxSports.com reported last week that Ripken was blocked from joining the Orioles by Angelos.
"I have met with Andy (MacPhail, president of baseball operations) and Peter on a number of occasions to discuss many subjects," Ripken told MLB.com. "Ultimately, our discussions have turned to baseball, the Orioles and me. I have enjoyed those talks very much, and, yes, the subject has been broached about me potentially joining the organization. I look forward to those talks continuing."
FoxSports.com previously reported that Ripken was looking for a position with the team where he would work with some of the organization’s young players. According to MLB.com, the Fox report said that Angelos stopped that from happening "because he didn’t want Ripken to get most of the credit if the organization returns to prominence."
Added Ripken, in his comments to MLB.com, "I have been consistent in my statements about a return to baseball since my retirement in 2001. With my son, Ryan, approaching the end of high school in a couple of years, I have been thinking more seriously about a return to the big league game. I am more excited now to explore all opportunities and find the right situation that could lead me to the next phase of my life."